Life Lately | Shenanigans of 2016.

Since the new year began, I’ve been quite literally rushed off my feet. My head has been buried amongst academic studies, the edits of my upcoming book (read about Letters here), and coping with general daily pressures to keep going in life despite various pitfalls in my health. It recently came to my attention that whilst I was so immersed in life, I had forgotten to check-in with you lovely readers. So, today, I shall enlighten you on the shenanigans I’ve been up to.



Without a doubt, the most exciting happening has been my upcoming book, Letters. Last year, I had said to myself that it was time to take a break from writing poetry and return to writing my novel. As a professional procrastinator, I found that writing poetry distracted me from completing my novel. However, one evening in the late months of last year, I conjured the idea to supplement a new book; Letters. Letters takes four years of poetry and prose and compiles it into one, collected assortment of voyages that form into a single story of dealing with the twists, turns, turmoil, and thought-provoking moments in life.

This book has conjured the utmost pride in myself because of the surrealism of having four years of writing – my writing – sat in my hands. Reading over the poems, the stories, the many musings that are featured sent me on a nostalgic trip of just what was behind the motivation to write each of those things. I believe that this book is my favourite to date and I hope you feel the same too. The book will be hitting the shelves (yes, both virtual and actual shelves!) in May!

In the last couple of years, I feel as though I have been wafting back and forth with my health.
Returning to academia after being house-bound for so long was a very, very terrifying ordeal. But since then, I have made real groundwork with slowly learning how to deal with the perils of living with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS). I still am very much fighting hard and dealing with payback for being the newfound busy-body that I am, but I’m making progress.

The downside to this is that, in 2014, I began having an unexplained kind of seizure. Just like ME/CFS, they baffled neurologists and I was sent on a stem of examinations, tests, and scans over quite a few months. Perhaps what made this affair so worrying and sobering for me was when I was told about the very high possibility of me falling asleep and not waking up. When I was first told this, I was terrified. I got very scared and isolated myself because of being scared.

Have you ever wondered what it's like to want insomnia when you have ME/CFS? It's impossible. It's as though I was living my very own rendition Nightmare On Elm Street with ME/CFS being my Freddy Krueger and there isn't enough caffeine in the world that could keep me awake.

Since then, I have experienced some scary encounters with these episodes but I am happy to say that I have settled my anxieties down about whatever these seizures and blackouts are. I’ve also connected with fellow ME/CFS suffers who have also described to have the same occurrence as I which adds a great deal of reassurance on the matter. So far this year, I’ve been okay!

Although, there is no explanation as to what is going on with my brain to cause this, I’ve pressed “play” back on life and kept going. Because, in the end, all you can do is keep going despite the devices that attempt to strap you down. You can stop and let yourself rot because something else is trying to rot you.

The most surprising venture of this year is my connection with photography. With my exploration of showcasing the mind, the body, and the soul, I decided to return to the world of photography. Through my investigation into the visual world of evoking emotion and expressing the self, I have found myself fascinated and making series upon series of photographs. These mini-series’ will be very soon published for your eyes. But not on here. On my upcoming website that is dedicated to my photography! The reason behind this special decision is, you guessed it, a book. Since the summer of last year, I have been working on a new and visual book that blends photography and associated prose that tell the story of an addict. But I that’s all I can reveal for now – but I promise that you won’t be disappointed in this project.



(I promise I will get round to my novel now!)

To conclude this discussion of my life lately, I thought it apt to talk about the one thing that is positively ruling my life at the present – studying. Yes, I have fully transformed into a student again what with working night and day on various dissertations, essays, coursework and extracurricular projects.

I’ve spoken a lot about student life on here, with proposing tips on being a focused, healthy student (because you must remember, your health matters before your education does – but I’ll be talking about the pressures of education in a later article) and the pros of being a bit of a recluse and my first experience as a teacher!

Life with studying has been very difficult to handle as I am slowly transitioning into a mixture of an introvert and extrovert. My workaholic-laced genes have had me working, eating, sleeping and having many minor breakdowns due to blasted perfectionism. (I've been branded "absolutely mad" because of my dedication to work - I'm currently on a break but I've been at my place of study twice in this break.)

But honestly, my academic studies are going phenomenally well and have proven that my long hours of work pay off. I feel as though I have found myself and what I truly want to do with life after being a “jack of all trades.”

So to sum this rather lengthy article; it’s been a busy, productive, surprising and sobering (yet fun) year of discovery so far. 


Comments

Popular Posts